Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Can someone give me advice on starting a new career/life?

So I'm kind of stuck in a bit of a rut and I keep playing mind games with myself about how I will never have a good life with the degree I earned. While I was attending school I tended to find myself trying to have fun more so than hitting the books and really learning about my major. I did party a lot but managed to get a 3.1 gpa and a degree in sport and entertainment management in 4 years from the U of South Carolina. But after I attained my degree is when reality struck and I realized that I was stuck with my career choice. In completing my degree we had to do 2 internships in order to network ourselves into our career field. Like a dumb *** I chose the good ole YMCA and it's lucrative careers.....(sarcasm). So now I'm stuck with a degree I dislike and no good connections. It's been a year since I graduated and I'm working s**t job's to pay my car insurance so my parents don't kick me out of the house. I'm basically stuck in a conundrum because I hate living in small town SC where there are no girls (never been on a date), no good friends that aren't married, and no good career paths. Basically I don't fit in here with all of the uneducated rednecks that I'm surrounded by but I can't get a decent paying job or a job that I may like to get me out of here because of my major. Is there hope for me in finding a good job outside of my field? Please don't tell me to go military because I've already weighed that option in my mind for a few months and decided not to pursue it. I also have a tough time leaving my parents behind and my ailing grandmother who is suffering the late stages of Parkinson's. How can I get out of here to the west coast or somewhere that people are actually relatively chill and friendly? I need all of the help I can get on this matter as it is about to drive me into depression/anger fits if it doesn't change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment